AKI GOES TO BOLLYWOOD
An unprecedented mashup of Retro Bollywood Music & American Blues
Though some instrumental albums and DJs have attempted to rearrange Bollywood music mixed with other genres, never before has an Indian blues musician so triumphantly recorded songs by the film industry’s biggest stars such as Mohammad Rafi, Kishore Kumar, R.D. Burman, and S.D. Burman. Aki Kumar notes, “I realized that many of the Indian songs I loved had, in fact, been influenced by American blues music and I wanted to bring them together.” Aki Goes To Bollywood blends sitars with Delta blues jams, Hindi vocals with ferocious harp playing. Aki has single-handedly created Mumbai Meets Muddy, his own blues movement. For the album’s cover, Aki emulates his childhood hero and mega-star, Amitabh Bachchan.
"Really really really hot stuff... it is a barn burner."
Elwood Blues aka Dan Aykroyd, TheBluesMobile.com
"Aki Kumar has combined the two disparate genres in an unforced musical fusion never before attempted and has pulled it off with breathtaking aplomb."
Lee Hildebrand, Living Blues Magazine
"This isn’t so much east meets west. It is east smashes into west (or visa versa) on a muddy road somewhere in Mississippi or Calcutta… represents the height of creativity and fearlessness..."
David Mac, Blues Junction Productions
"...the songs find a great balance between the styles, the best featuring stinging guitar lines, roiling piano, hard-four beats and Kumar’s blowzy harp fitting perfectly with the buoyant froth of some classic Bollywood production numbers...It’s Chicago deep-dish pizza — masala style."
Take Two, Tuesday Reviewsday, KPCC 89.3FM
- COVER STORY! Bollywood Blues: Channeling Memphis and Mumbai, Aki Kumar Crafts a Bi-Continental Sound Metro Silicon Valley, Oct 2016
- Hardly Strictly Bluegrass: Best Moments from Sunday SFGate.com - Oct 2016
- Aki Kumar Fuses Blues and Bollywood SF Chronicle - Oct 2016
- Blowin' the Blues Bollywood Style California Report - Sept 2016
- I Wanted To Be Bigger Than Bill Gates - But I Fell in Love With The Blues PRI's "The World" - July 2016
- What America Sounds Like India Currents Magazine - June 2016
- Tuning Back Almaden Resident - June 2016
Title - Aki Goes To Bollywood
Aki Kumar - vocals, harmonica